Root Canal Therapy
What are the signs that a root canal is needed?
- Severe tooth pain while chewing
- Your tooth pain wakes you up at night
- Teeth that are highly sensitive to hot or cold, with the sensitivity lingering for some time.
- Discoloration or darkening of the tooth
- Swollen gums in the area of the infected tooth
What does the treatment involve?
First, an opening is made in the crown of the tooth in order to remove the infected pulp. The entire canal will then be cleaned and permanent and natural looking crown will be placed. In some instances, Dr. Houman Dehdashti may elect to perform this procedure in multiple visits, and put a temporary crown on the tooth. The temporary will be removed at the following visit, with more infected material being eliminated and more cleaning to be done--with the application of the permanent filling or crown to occur last.
For more information on root canal therapy, please call (941) 624-0990 to make an appointment with Family Dentistry in Port Charlotte FL.