Dental Exams and X-Rays
Alongside twice yearly cleanings, you should schedule twice yearly dental exams at the same time. These exams are essential in maintaining excellent oral health and can overall save you in the long run- for if dental issues are caught early on, it can reduce the treatment needed to combat it.
How it's done:
Dr. Houman Dehdashti first will examine your mouth visually, using dental equipment such as mouth mirrors, assorted dental tools, and high intensity lights. He will look for cracked and decayed teeth, as well as review other important items such as:
- Medical history: To assess how any new medical conditions or illnesses may affect your dental health
- Examination of tooth decay: Your mouth will be checked for cracked or decayed teeth.
- Oral cancer screening: The face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums will be checked for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Your gums and bone around the teeth will be checked for any evidence of periodontal disease.
- Examination of existing restorations: Current fillings, crowns, and other restorations are made sure to be in good order.
Diagnostic x-rays will also be taken of the inside of your mouth to uncover any hidden problems, most notably beneath the gum line. Bitewing x-rays are typically taken every 12 months. Additionally, every 3 to 5 years you should have a panoramic or full mouth series x-ray done.
If it has been over 6 months since your last exam at our Port Charlotte FL office, please call (941) 624-0990.